One of the important aspects of parents is to understand the communication language of your baby. This leads to the question of why do babies cry and major reasons. Babies cry to communicate for their needs like pain, hunger, lack of sleep, fear of anything. But to understand or interpret their need can be quite tricky. You should contact a pediatrician immediately if your baby’s cry is not right. How to soothe and comfort a baby may not be an easy job as it will test all your awareness and perception. Babies cry may sound different right from pain to hunger or need to sleep. Babies show different ways to communicate with you as they grow. They cry to capture your attention to express their need.
If your baby is unresponsive or acts different then you need to contact a doctor immediately. A baby will continue to cry until someone respond to their need. But if a baby is upset or unresponsive there must be something wrong with him/her. If your baby doesn’t stop crying never ever shake vigorously.
This can become intolerance for them as the blood vessel of the brain can break. Parents shake their baby’s when they are not able to stop crying them. In frustration and anger parents that shaking a baby vigorously can be fatal for them, or can cause brain damage and mental retardation.
You have to know that no two babies are alike so don’t compare your baby with other babies when you hear with other parents how easy they cope with their babies cry.
Avoid comparison as it can feel you frustrated, tired, and angry.
In this stressful situation if your baby won’t respond or stop crying then you need to take some steps. Talk to your family members, your friends, or babysitting. You don’t have to be perfect because of parenting in not perfection, its about learning from everyday experience.
Major reasons why babies
Hunger is the first and major reason for babies cry
It is one of the most common reasons why a baby cry, especially when he/she is a newborn. If a baby is younger it is likely they will cry more when they are hungry. Baby’s stomach is small, they cannot hold much. So at every small interval, they need feeding. If you are breastfeeding offer your breast to your baby he/she will continue to feed themselves as much as they can hold. They will take off from your breast when they are full. This is called responsive feeding.
In formula feeding your baby may not need milk at least for two hours after last feed. Babies may not stop crying immediately but keep them feeding at every small interval of time.
If a baby cries a lot in spite of being healthy may have colic. The exact reason behind this is still unknown. Some experts say it might be because of pain in the abdomen, intolerance to some feeding products, allergy to your breastmilk, or constipation. Some say that it might also cause during the development stage. And it is normal or common in babies during the development stage.
If your baby may have colic they become frustrated and may clench their fists, draw up their legs or knees, bend their back. They will refuse to stop crying and become unresponsive to all your efforts.
If your baby is crying excessively contact the doctor to know the exact cause. The doctor will make sure its nothing more serious which causes your baby so distress. Whatever may be the cause, you need patience, energy, everyday learning experience which soothe your baby. Colic may be at peak during 2-4 months after birth.
Tiredness and Unrest
If your baby is tired and doesn’t get enough sleep they may become frustrated and find uneasy to the environment. After birth babies sleep more than normal human beings. But it becomes uneasy for them when they don’t get enough sleep. The reason may be lots of visitors, a sound, unpleasant environment in the room like humidity or smell.
Take your baby to a quiet room feed her soothe her. They need lots of cuddling, physical contact. Your baby loves your smell your physical contact when you hold them. At that time they just need to be held and calm down. Swaying and holding close to you can make your baby away from discomfort and comfort them.
Your baby may be able to stop crying when they are irritated with a wet nappy. Their skin may feel irritated and cold, which causes rashes and itching if not changed. They might feel strange when wet nappy causes irritation. Learn how to change nappy before the baby’s arrival.
When babies cry first try to check whether his/her nappy is wet or not. Just pat on nappy to make sure it is dry or wet. Distract your baby by singing or with a toy during you change the nappy. If lots of irritation or rashes cause you to contact your doctor for proper medication.
Don’t Feel Well
If your baby is not well, he/she will cry in a different manner frequently to drive your attention. It might be because of many reasons such as abdominal pain, constipation, need burping. Teething might also be the reason for uneasiness for babies. Even congestion in the chest due to cough and cold may cause difficulty in breathing.
Abdominal pain or constipation may cause due to allergy to breastmilk. When you eat which is allergic to your baby then it might cause abdominal pain. In turn, it causes vomiting or diarrhea.
Babies consume lots of calories, so they need burping. Babies need burping more than an adult. It is important to make them burp after every feed. Some babies fall asleep after feeding. If you don’t make them burp they will wake up with pain in the abdomen. Try to make them burp before a few minutes of their sleep.
Teething in babies can be painful. It starts between 6-24 months. It makes your baby’s gums swollen, changes in sleeping pattern, crying a lot, sometimes vomiting and diarrhea, it can also increase the body temperature giving fever and rashes.
Babies can get cough and cold which causes congestion in the chest and nasal passage. It can be because of increased humidity, pollutants in air, smoking, allergic to some pollutants. It can produce extra mucus which causes congestion in the chest. It can be noticed when they have a runny nose, snore while sleeping, a blocked nose, mild fever. In extreme cases, it can cause pneumonia if not treated properly at the time.
Too hot or cold temperature
Check your baby’s body temperature if he/she is too hot or cold. Check their back or tummy where you can feel the temperature. Sometimes the room temperature might make your babies unwell while they sleep. Keep the room temperature between 20-25 degrees. Use a thermometer to keep the temperature on track. Don’t overdress your baby it may cause overheating.
Use one more layer of clothing than normal. Use cotton sheets and blankets. If your baby’s tummy feels too hot remove the blanket or if it feels too cold cover them with a blanket.
How to soothe a crying baby
- Try to cuddle your baby, sway, and walking with your baby around. A routine crying or discomfort is common among babies. Cuddling, swaying, physical contact may cause your baby to feel asleep and stop crying.
- Hunger may be the common reason for babies crying. Most babies cry during the night when they are hungry. They need constant feeding at regular intervals. Babies stomach is tiny they cannot hold too much, so they need to be feed after every 2-3 hours.
- Feed the baby before it starts crying with a lot of hunger. It may cause gas and then abdominal pain. Burp the baby after every feed before they sleep. Hold in your arm ith head on your shoulder, rub babies back till he/she burps.
Colic may be the reason for babies crying. Babies who cry more than three hours a day suffer from colic. The main cause of colic is still unknown. Consult the doctor. Most doctors say that it will go by itself on time. Parents need to keep patient. Consult a doctor if there is some allergy or acid reflux due to breastfeeding.
- Keep babies room ventilated and clean, swaddle or sway him/her in fresh air till they fall asleep.
- Sometimes a baby just needs to be held to seek your attention. Hold your baby in your arm.keep close to your heart as they love to hear your heartbeat and feel the warmth of your body.
- Try a massage with unscented oil or massaging cream specially made for babies. Rub your babies back and tummy. Gentle massage can make your baby feel warm and can make them asleep. A regular massage can make your baby cry less and keeps digestion well. If your baby cries during the massage it’s enough so stop massaging and cuddle your baby.
Try a different position to feed your baby sometimes. Your baby needs to feed in a slightly upright position. After feeding make them burp on holding in your arms and rubbing back.
- Give a warm bath to your baby, the temperature must be between 35-37 degrees. check before you place the baby in water it must not be too hot or too cold. If your baby enjoys bathing then only make them a bath or else it will make them cry more. A warm bath can soothe your baby and make them stop crying or calm down.
- Some babies like to suck fingers or knuckles. You can also let them suck your breast this makes babies comfort and sleepy.
How to calm and keep patience to yourself
When your babies cry you may feel responsible, tired, and frustrated. Instead of that try to keep yourself calm and responsive to your baby. Your baby is emotionally connected to yourself. So if you are tired, frustrated, or angry you may feel detached with your baby. This feeling may cause trouble in calming down your baby.
If you are stressed or overwhelmed you will find difficulty in soothing and calming your baby.
You will need extra support if you are depressed, fear of parenting, lack of sleep, a major illness, feeling isolated.
Parents must learn how to calm themselves. They can take the help of their family members, partner, and friends. Parents must build an attachment and bonding with their child as time passes.
Babies are emotionally attached to their parents, they can catch any signal. So if you are happy, sad, angry babies become responsive to every feeling.
Making yourself calm by walking around for some time in the fresh air, taking a deep breath, listening to music can feel you better.
Post-delivery and sudden rapid shifting of hormones can make you feel irritated and depressed. It is challenging for you to come out of this situation. You can take the help of an expert or doctor.
In special circumstances, you might need the help of professionals. The traumatic situation may include medical problems during birth, premature birth, mental depression due to hormonal changes, adoption, or separation from family.
At such circumstances ask for help from your family member, spouse, friends, and nanny for a few months. If you cannot figure out why your baby is crying vigorously and continuously you need to rush a local hospital in your area for a pediatrician.
Classes available in many areas provide parenting classes that offer advice and support. There are many groups and professionals who share their parenting experiences. They encourage you and provide tips to calm your baby that won’t stop crying.
- During the first 3 months, you need attention to your baby. So that you can understand their signal when they cry and wants to interact with you. At that time you need to hold them, respond your baby gently, express your face in a playful manner, and a soothing tone.
- Now between 3-6 months your baby grows and feels sensory experience which in turn establishes an emotional and physical connection. So when your baby seeks attention or engagement try to respond in a playful manner with a smile on your face, movement, and gestures of your face and body.
- Between 6-18 months babies try to communicate with signals like facial expression and gestures. They try to point out want they want. Between 10-18 months babies crawl, point, and walk. Those are all motor skill which is developed during this phase. During this phase, you need to understand their signal when they are trying to point something and through nonverbal language.