FACE MASK FOR KIDS
The whole world is suffering from the pandemic COVID. We also know that the correct drug to cure this is not invented yet. The vaccine can strengthen our body to fight against the battle but it also causes much harm on repeated consumption. So, it is necessary to find ways to reduce its spread before it affects the whole world. Doctors conveyed that COVID is a communicable disease like flu and transmission of this can be reduced by adopting some measures. The main source of transmission of germs in our nose and mouth. Covering this using some technology can help. Especially when we are in a crowded place. The refreshed rules suggest wearing a material covering or a mask when it is hard to keep up physical distancing.
Here we go to an introduction of a face mask. Though there are many face masks available in markets. Thinking about safety and “prevention is better than cure”. We can try to make masks for our dear ones. Eager to know how to proceed then scroll below and Homemade safety for kids.
QUESTIONS RELATED TO FACE MASKS:
- Which type of fabric to use?
- How many layers of that fabric to use?
- What is the proper size for cutting based on different age groups?
- Ways to fix the mask with the help of ears.
- Some elastic bands are suitable for the process.
Type of fabric to use and the number of layers of it:-
Yet, research into whether reusable fabric masks can slow the spread of the new Covid has brought about conflicting discoveries. Whereas some ongoing investigations propose that reusable masks made of cotton might be incapable of separating beads containing the infection or virus that causes COVID. They suggested, on a combination of certain types of fabric we can surely slow down the spread of Covid. They experimented on some fabrics like cotton, chiffon, and flannel, silk, spandex, satin, and polyester singly as well as in combination.
The specialists found that a sheet of firmly woven cotton of 600 strings for each inch in addition to two sheets of chiffon, produced using polyester and spandex, appeared to make the best blend, sifting through 80–99% of the particles, contingent upon their size.
As per the analysts, different mixes that perform well are firmly woven cotton in addition to normal silk or wool, and cotton quilt with cotton-polyester batting. The scientists clarify that combination including a texture with a tight weave. For example, cotton and one that can hold a static charge. For example, silk is likely compelling because they give a twofold boundary shielding i.e. mechanical and electrostatic shielding.
Proper size for mask
– Proper size to make a mask varies for different age groups. A legitimate fit is critical to effective filtration and crucial in case of comfort. There are a couple of tips and deceives to help fit your mask appropriately. Here are some basic sizes to choose the (ear to the topmost point of the nose and then to the second ear)
SMALL– UP TO 11 INCHES (AVERAGE SIZED YOUTH 8-12!)
MEDIUM– UP TO 12 INCHES
LARGE– UP TO 13 INCHES
XL– UP TO 14 INCHES
But how do we get to know which size to prefer?
Measure from your jawline to the bridge of your nose. This estimation gives a guide concerning the size of the mask:
- Under 112 mm is a size S/M
- From 112 mm – 125 mm is a size M/L
- Above 125 mm is a size L/XL
Some measures can be followed to get to know whether the size chosen is correct or not.
- Spot the palm of your hand daintily over the opening to the pre-filter holder to make it air sealed. Try not to press excessively hard, as that will make the cover twisted so the test will not work.
- Breathe in excess and hold your breath for a couple of moments.
- In case the mask is an airproof fit, it will press against your face due to the fractional vacuum you made while breathing in.
- If you have discovered a break or leak, check the inward breath and exhalation valves and straighten out the lashes. Still not release tight? Pick an alternate size of the mask. Rehash this “FIT” check until you’re certain that there aren’t any leaks.
You can also measure your size:-
- First Measure from the extension of your nose to about a little over an inch under your jaw, this would be your reference for the main number on our size outline.
- Next Measure the distance between your cheekbones for the width of the mask.
Let’s discuss the procedure for a homemade face mask for kids.
As discussed above the best material for a natively constructed face mask is firmly woven. It means different layers in 100% cotton texture. You can buy texture all alone, yet things around your home like bed sheets or woven shirts additionally work. For more safety, a non-woven layer is added in the center. A choice that is effortlessly washed is polypropylene non-woven strands which are utilized in reusable texture staple packs, even though they are less effective. However easily obtained filters are coffee filters. They are not as good as the others and can be utilized once, yet the researchers suggest them as any filter is superior to no filter when making your face mask. Here bellow is the full flexibly list for making a children’s face mask.
Kids are continually developing and require diverse measuring for face covers contrasted with grown-ups.
To locate the ideal fit for a kid’s homemade no-sew and sew face mask the following criteria need to apply:
- The cover should be made sure about with elastic bands behind the ears or with ties behind the head
- Utilize more than one layer of texture
- Ensure its breathable
- Is machine-launderable
- Utilize material that won’t change shape in the wake of being washed
- 2 layers of cotton fabric cut to the dimensions after measuring.
- 1 layer of non-woven interfacing cut to the dimensions similar to the cotton fabric.
- 2 pieces of elastic cut to the dimensions about 5” for kids up to 6 and for above cut it to 5.5” (note: tubular elastic is best, but 1/8″ elastic also works)
- 1 twist tie or other soft metal nose piece to provide a secure fit at the nose without hurt.
- A spool of cotton thread
- An iron and board
- Sewing machine
- Snips or scissors
How to sew the face mask for kids:
- Arrange the layers of fabric, along with the filter layer on top and outer fabric on the bottom facing up after then the inner fabric facing down.
- Place the elastics between the top and lining layers 1/2” from the top on the short sides and then pin it.
- Stitch both short sides with 1/2” seam allowance.
- Sew top seam at 1/2″ seam allowance.
- Center nose piece in the top seam allowance and stitch down.
- Pin bottom, leaving 2-3” open at the center
- Sew both sides of the bottom from one part of a seam to the pin and backstitch (making sure not to pin the center gap)
- Clip all 4 corners at an angle without cutting the stitch lines
Some more steps include
- Turn right side out
- Pull corners out so the mask forms a rectangle
- Fold bottom opening into the same point as seam allowance
- Press all 4 sides
- Fold in half (top to bottom) then press it.
- Fold with top and bottom meeting at the centerfold and then press it.
- Start from the top and take press fold to halfway to the next fold line and pin. Continue for all 3 pleats and then press with an iron.
- Sew 1/4” topstitch around the entire mask, making sure to close the bottom opening.
- Press pleats, and now you are ready for your little one to be protected.
How to make no-sew patterns of face mask for kids:
- No-sew Bandana/handkerchief Face Mask
- Lay bandana flat on a table.
- Fold the bandana top half to the center after locating its center.
- Do the same with the bottom half portion of the bandana.
- Flip the folded bandana.
- Then repeat the above step once again.
- Flip again the folded one.
- Thread each end with the help of hair ties or small bands at equal spacing.
- Fold the ends of the bandana over again to the center.
- Flip it over and it’s ready for use.
Use the hair ties to stretch over the ears and place over the nose, mouth, and chin.
- This no-sew handkerchief face mask makes an ideal creased multi-layer mask that is as yet breathable.
- It is intended to unfurl effectively and we can also wash it after each utilization.
- No-sew Old T-shirt Face Mask:
To make this no-sew t-shirt face mask, locate an old shirt that your kid no longer finds a way into. After then cut less than 50% of the base part of the shirt. The Centers for Disease Control prescribes 7 to 8 inches be as standard cut from the lower part of a shirt. In any case, the guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control are directions for a grown-up, not a kid.
This estimation might be more limited than 7 inches in case you’re utilizing your kid’s shirt.
- Lay an old shirt level on a table.
- Use scissors to cut off 7 or fewer creeps to the lower part of the shirt
- Cut a square shape in one enclosed side of the texture
- Leave a quarter-inch from the edge and the square shape of the shirt
- With the pattern square shape missing, cut the ends to make two strings into four connections to secure around the head and neck.
It is the easiest one to make and is surely comfortable due to its lightweight design.
Great thing is that you can make as many you want and wash them after each use.
Kids can wear fashionable designs face mask with safety on the other hand. This will promote the kid’s attention towards wearing the mask.
No-sew flat sheet face mask:
Though this technique requires more materials it provides countless face masks for kids. If a queen-sized flat bed sheet is cut accurately you may get up to 24 face covers for each sheet. Besides this, it takes into consideration a stopgap nose piece for the mask to fit snuggly on your kid’s face.
- One queen size flat bed sheet
- Measuring tape
- Large paper clips or pipe cleaners
- Safety pins or stapler
- Flat the sheet down on a large table.
- Start from the side folded part on the side of the bedsheet and measure 13 inches across and 5 inches down.
- Cut ½ inch wide strips measuring 12 to 17 inches in length using the inner rectangle cutout on the bedsheet.
- Take a large paper clip and straighten it into three sections.
- Thread the straightened paper into the side folded portion of the cutout rectangular face mask and glide it to the middle of the side folded part. This creates a moldable nose piece.
- Lay the mask down facing you and make a ½ inch fold on both sides of the rectangle. Use scissors to make a small slit of ½ inch.
- Insert the ½ inch wide tie strand through the holes and knot each end. After then staple it along the folded side.
- It provides a moldable nose piece to receive a snugger fit.